A Little Crochet Story

Good morning, beautiful people!

Today we’re going to take a break from food and chat about another love of mine: crochet.

When I was 8 years old, my Grandma Kitty taught me how to crochet.  We would sit for hours as she crocheted slippers, Christmas stockings, doll blankets, you name it.  I liked to fashion clothes and accessories for my Barbies. Grandma was from Manchester, England, and let me tell you, those British girls are magical with yarn and a hook!  I still own a Christmas stocking she made me long ago.  It’s one of my most prized possessions, and I display it every year.  I like to run my fingers over it and imagine her small, quick hands working the stitches.  It’s a little piece of her I will always have.

As a teenager, I strayed away from crochet, but picked it back up again in my 30’s.  There’s something so addictive about working with yarn – the softness, the lovely color combinations, and the accomplished feeling of creating something out of a simple string of yarn.

I’m currently working on a ripple blanket I started about 1 1/2 years ago.  It’s a project I work on here and there, if I’m in the mood to craft but don’t want to start something new.

ripple blanket 3

I found the pattern on Attic 24.  Lucy is from England (of course) and her tutorials are so easy to follow.  Her color combinations make my heart go pitter patter.

I’m about 1/3 of the way done.

ripple blanket 1

ripple blanket 2

The colors remind me of vintage circus.  They make me happy.  This is one project I’m keeping for myself.

If I stay at this pace, I’ll share the final product with you in about three years!

What do you do to relax?  Is anyone else a craftoholic?

Would you like to see more craftiness on the blog, or should I just keep it to food and nutrition?  Inquiring minds want to know!

~Christi

Tagged: ,

Comments: 8

1. Val June 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM Reply

This is YOUR Blog and you are crafty, I have a few of the Christi originals that my baby’s enjoy so I say Blog away about what you are about! Love everything I’ve read so far!

• Christi June 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM Reply

That means so much to me, Valerie. Thank you – I’m going to forge ahead with all things food and crafty!

2. Renee June 17, 2014 at 10:31 PM Reply

Your blanket is beautiful. My mom taught me how to crochet during spring break this year. I made a scarf. My grandmothertaught me how to needlepoint. I am working on a piece she did not finish before she died. I hope to finish it before I die!

• Christi June 18, 2014 at 7:43 AM Reply

Thank you, Renee! I’d love to see the scarf and needlepoint piece. Isn’t it wonderful how these skills are passed down from generation to generation? So many memories made, and beautiful treasures passed down.

3. Victoria June 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM Reply

I love your blankets! The two you made for Riley are two of my favorite baby blankets. As for crafts that take a decade to complete, I have been working on embroidering something for my mom for Hanukkah. Of course it was for Hanukkah two years ago, and it’s not finished yet. Same with the tree skirt I made for us… It’s sewn, but not embroidered yet. Oh well…

• Christi June 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM Reply

Thanks, Victoria! My mom taught me how to make the baby blankets. I’d love to see the embroidery piece you’re working on! I was just thinking that I should host a little craft get together, and everyone can bring the project they’re working on. Like an old fashioned quilting circle! What do you think?

4. Kathy Lucas June 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM Reply

I love crocheting and knitting. I’m just not very good at it. I have a hard time following directions. I’d love to see more crafty ideas.

• Christi June 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM Reply

I’m good at copying things, but not very imaginative when it comes to creating something from scratch. I will definitely add more craftiness! There’s a great crochet website I just discovered. It’s http://www.cherryheartcrochet.co.uk. She has great tutorials for beginning to advanced ‘hookers’. 🙂 Lots of stitch tutorials.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

%d bloggers like this: