Are you ready to change things up a bit with chemical free green cleaning? One of the things I love about essential oils is their versatility. To be honest, when I started using them I had no idea what I could do with them and how they would improve everything from my health to my environment. When I figured out I could replace things I already purchased with simple, easy, quick, do-it-yourself recipes, I was elated! Cleaning up the toxins from my home was the first step to creating health for my family. I used to be a big candle burner because I loved the smells, not realizing I was initiating poor air quality. I have since changed things up, and with a few simple ingredients such as vinegar, water, high-quality essential oils and my diffuser I am now contributing to a toxin-free home environment. I love creating a welcoming atmosphere, and I receive many compliments from friends when they come to visit. I also love the fact that essential oils are just pennies per drop and I am saving a lot of money when it comes to cleaning supplies.Favorite Essential Oils for Chemical Free Green Cleaning
- Lemon – is cold-pressed from lemon rinds to preserve its delicate nature and potent properties. It uplifts mood, (which can make for happy cleaning), is a powerful cleaning agent, and can be used throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner.
- Wild Orange – is also cold pressed from the peel and releases an energizing citrus aroma. It is a powerful cleanser and purifying agent. One of my favorites in the diffuser or it mixes well in a small bottle with some water for a room freshening spray. And to be honest, I wear this stuff as a natural perfume.
- Melaleuca – more commonly called “tea tree,” has 90 different compounds and limitless applications. It can be used on surfaces throughout the home to protect against environmental threats. Diffusing Melaleuca will help purify and freshen the home.
- On Guard – features a combination of Wild Orange, Clove Bud, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary. Its unique aroma offers a fragrant alternative to synthetic options. Safe to use on countertops, as a non-toxic cleaner, or to purify the air through diffusion.
- Any smell you like – That’s right! I find myself mixing it up occasionally. I like to put a drop of White Fir in the toilet after cleaning it and let it sit in the room until the next flush. I also add Cassia to my room sprays. Mixed with a little Wild Orange, it smells amazing! I am led to the citrus-pine smells because I like the uplifting atmosphere they create but the sky is the limit.
Other Alternative Cleaning Products for Chemical Free Green Cleaning
- Baking Soda: scrubs, whitens, deodorizes, and cuts grease.
- Liquid Castile Soap: vegetable-based soap commonly found in health food stores. Dr. Bronner’s is a popular one. Look for unscented.
- Vinegar: kills germs, cuts grease, deodorizes and dissolves mineral deposits.
- Borax: disinfectant kills germs, fungi, and deodorizes.
- Pure Bar Soap: made of the highest grade vegetable oils, pure cocoa butter, and a few drops of almond oil –no phosphates, dyes or deodorants.
- Washing Soda: adds extra cleaning and freshening power for tough household jobs. Works as a laundry detergent booster and a household cleaner.
Are You Ready for Chemical Free Green Cleaning?
Let’s start with some of my favorite recipes as I am ready to guide you in creating a friendly non-toxic environment in your home
All Purpose Cleaner
- 2 cups hot distilled water
- 2 TBSP Borax
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup Castile Soap
- 30 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
Directions: Heat water to almost boiling, add Borax and stir to dissolve. Combine all ingredients in a glass spray bottle and use to disinfect countertops, tubs, sinks and toilets.
Directions: Mix ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake and apply. Wipe clean.
Easy Does It Bowl Cleaner
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 10 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (it’s going to gurgle) right before toilet wash, add to toilet bowl, brush and you’re done!
RobynMitchell is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach. She empowers women to nurture themselves by taking simple steps to create a life they love. Her holistic approach to life includes essential oils, nutrition, and self-care. Follow Robyn at www.naturallysimplesolutions.me